What are the most popular albums of 2020? Who has sold the most albums this year?
While we are still a few weeks away from the dozens of Best Albums of 2020 lists that will be out, we wanted to share with our fans what have been our most popular albums of the year so far. This is not reflective what may be considered to be the best albums of the year, but rather what we sold the most of.
Despite being in a global pandemic, there has been so much new music released every week that it's next to impossible to keep up with what is out. There's still another 5 stacked New Music Fridays before the year is done, and another Record Store Day in just a few weeks. All of which will continue to make this another HUGE year for vinyl record sales.
We combined all editions of an album to determine overall sales for new releases. Many of our Top 10 albums had limited editions that eventually sold out, replaced by a standard release. Also a few albums in our charts have been on backorder for a significant time, negatively effecting their chart position.
We also sell a lot of albums internationally, that impact can be seen with our top selling new album of the year, Alanis' Morissette's Such Pretty Forks In The Road. Canada had it's own exclusive edition that was unavailable in other markets, causing a massive surge in desire from other regions of the world. We sold 1/5 of the entire production run!
Anniversary editions are always very popular with fans, so there's a few of those in our top catalog albums chart. There will be Top 2020 Reissues chart in our year end recap to give more visibility to all the timeless albums that weren't repackaged.
With the holiday season fast approaching, it will be fascinating to see what impact that has on these charts.
Top 10 New Releases:
- Alanis Morissette - Such Pretty Forks In The Road - 95
- Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia - 83
- Neil Young - Homegrown - 61
- Lady Gaga - Chromatica - 60
- Strokes - The New Abnormal - 43
- The Chicks - Gaslighter - 39
- Khruangbin - Mordechai - 33
- Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure -31
- Liam Gallagher - MTV Unplugged (Live at Hull City Hall) - 25
- Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher - 25
Honourable mention to these 2019 albums that continue to kick ass in 2020:
Top 10 Catalog Albums:
- Alanis Morissette - The Demos: 1994-1998 - 37
- Tom Petty - Wildflowers and All The Rest - 34
- Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? - 29
- Spice Girls - Spice World - 21
- Rush - ICON: Greatest Hits - 20
- Nina Simone - To Love Somebody - 20
- Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill - 20
- Madonna - Confessions on a Dance Floor - 19
- Dolly Parton - Very Best of Dolly Parton - 19
- National - High Violet - 19
Top 10 Record Store Day Releases:
- Orville Peck / Paul Cauthen - The Unrighteous Brothers - 58
- Gorillaz - G-Sides - 29
- Fleetwood Mac - The Alternate Rumours - 25
- Britney Spears - Oops!...I Did It Again: Remixes & B-Sides - 25
- Gorillaz - D-Sides - 23
- Spoon - All The Weird Kids Up Front - 22
- Robyn - Robyn - 20
- k.d. lang - Drag - 19
- Pink Floyd - Arnold Layne Live 2007 - 19
- David Bowie - ChangeNowBowie - 19
We often get asked who are the best selling artists in the shop, so we thought fans might enjoy knowing which legacy artists continue to sell a lot of records in 2020. Keep in mind, this chart is also impacted by repackaged releases.
Top 10 Best-Selling Artists:
- David Bowie - 110
- Madonna - 107
- Fleetwood Mac - 82
- Pink Floyd - 57
- Prince - 55
- Miles Davis - 54
- Nina Simone - 53
- The Rolling Stones - 40
- Joy Division - 37
- Beastie Boys - 31